Saturday, November 9, 2013

No (2012)

**Seen in April (?) 2013**

An ad executive comes up with a campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Foreign Language Film (Chile)

No was a great competitor to Amour in the Foreign Language Film category. This film has a whole lot of elements that I shouldn't like, but they all work so well together: the way it is filmed (with the quality of a 1970s-1980s TV broadcast) didn't bother me at all. Neither did the topic, which I expected to be heavier, more boring than what I saw - because what we have here is an exciting small film, interesting, with a lot of heart and a feeling of authenticity. 
I still find myself humming Chile la alegria ya viene. In ends up feeling important.
My rating for the film: 8.5/10. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment