Saturday, November 9, 2013

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) (2nd time)

Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy must learn the ways of courage and love. [imdb]

Nominated for 4 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best Director: Benh Zeitlin
Best Actress: Quvenzhane Wallis
Best Adapted Screenplay

I must admit I didn't think this film will go this far with the Oscars. I expected a screenplay nomination, and that's it. But then came nominations' morning, and it scored big. I also admit to liking it more the 2nd time I saw it: it really is, if anything, a well-directed film, the vision of someone who knows what he's doing.
No point in going into the Quvenzhane debate, I've done that HERE, though it's Dwight Henry who should've been noticed by the Academy. Same for the Original Score, which is a beautiful piece of music that unfortunately went unrecognized.

My rating for the film: 8/10. Yeah, I really ranked this film higher the 2nd time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment