Wednesday, February 19, 2014

August: Osage County (2013) (2nd time)

A look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them. [imdb]


Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Actress: Meryl Streep
Best 
Supporting Actress: Julia Roberts

I was vaguely familiar with the play, but not enough as to tear this to pieces for not including this and that. Had I read it, I might've noticed the flaws in the adaptation. Any problem the film has comes, in my opinion, from the direction which needed just a touch more personality. Not too much though: this is clearly a vehicle for actors, not for the director to shine. As I said on Twitter, give me a Todd Field and I would be happy.

Meryl's amazing, Julia's amazing, Julianne Nicholson is really good, Margo Martindale & Chris Cooper are very memorable. I enjoyed the film a lot, it's the acting that makes it worth your time. Underrated by critics, for sure.

My rating for the film: 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment