Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Philomena (2013) (2nd time)

political journalist picks up the story of a woman's search for her son, who was taken away from her decades ago after she became pregnant and was forced to live in a convent. [imdb]


Nominated for 4 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best 
Actress: Judi Dench
Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Original Score

Where do I start with this one?! I had a problem with the tone of the film, since I don't think this should've had those traces of comedy in it, and especially not the racy dialogue that feels completely out of place most of the time. I believe it should've been adapted as a straight-face drama, and then it would've worked. And that's because this is such an amazing story with a shocking ending that... well, it deserved better.

Judi is fine, even though I felt little for her character (why is that? I blame the film's continuous change of pace). Coogan is quite ignorable. The directing is problematic. The original score I've really warmed up to lately.

My rating for the film: 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment