Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Nebraska (2013)

An aging, booze-addled father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his estranged son in order to claim a fake million-dollar prize. [imdb]


Nominated for 6 Oscars:
Best Picture
Best Director: Alexander Payne
Best Actor: Bruce Dern

Best Supporting ActressJune Squibb
Best 
Original Screenplay
Best Cinematography


This is a film with plenty of fans, but also plenty of bloggers who dislike it. I first saw it when they brought the Cannes films to Bucharest - almost a full-house, and a great experience because we were all either smiling or giggling. I don't usually go for Alexander Payne films and this is easily, to me, his best work to date. A very low key film with a simple but charming story, simple but charming dialogue, and good performances. It felt like a film I would write myself, maybe that's why I like it.

Will Forte, Stacy Keach & June Squibb are good, Bruce Dern is quite great. It just resonated to me. Good ensemble piece.

My rating for the film: 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment