Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Before Midnight (2013)

It has been nine years since we last met Jesse and Celine in Vienna. They now have twin daughters, spending a summer in Greece on the invitation of an author colleague of Jesse's. [imdb]


Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Adapted Screenplay

I must confess I didn't do a recap of the Before films in advance of playing this. I was too anxious to see it, I guess, and I wanted to experience it with some time between the films. I wasn't sure what the result would be once the film started... it's a bit shaky at first, but as soon as they start walking on the island, it all changes for the best. The key of the series was always the dialogue, since it's so much of it, and so well-written. This was no exception: I loved the dialogue in the hotel scene, it felt very authentic to me. Ethan is good, Julie is superb. The ending is so damn sad, but I'll take it. A film for the soul, for sure.

My rating for the film: 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment