Thursday, February 20, 2014

Prisoners (2013)

When a man's daughter and her friend go missing, he takes matters into his own hands as the police pursue multiple leads and the pressure mounts. [imdb]


Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Cinematography

Here is a film with a lot of potential that almost goes to waste. I thought it started on the right foot and it was quite captivating up until the last 30 minutes or more. Its biggest assets are Roger Deakins' Oscar nominated cinematography (OK, so most of it is name recognition, but it works wonders for the film) and Hugh Jackman's performance. 

I thought Jake, Maria Bello and Melissa Leo gave almost-bad performances, but Hugh was amazing, Paul Dano was very good, and Viola & Terrence were ok. As I said, I enjoyed it up until it got so foolishly complicated. The answer to the mystery is all kinds of ridiculous.

My rating for the film: 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment