Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Great Beauty (2013)

Jep Gambardella has seduced his way through the lavish nightlife of Rome for decades, but after his 65th birthday and a shock from the past, Jep looks past the nightclubs and parties to find a timeless landscape of absurd, exquisite beauty. [imdb]


Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Foreign Language Film (Italy)  (WINNER)

I was just saying on Twitter a couple of days ago that I can't really justify my love for this film. Sometimes I run into a film that's so visually beautiful, that I can forgive most of the faults in the screenplay. And this was gorgeous: Rome looks amazing, the cinematography in general was exquisite. 

Since the screenplay is not so great, and without a clear direction, it sure helped that the directing is almost flawless. Overall, it feels like a traveling ad, with a touch of substance and a nice leading performance. I was hooked. But I must admit I'm being subjective and it's not a film everyone could enjoy.

My rating for the film: 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment